Joined: June 2006
||Posted: Oct. 08 2006,15:33
|Quote (RDS @ Aug. 28 2006,21:55)|
|Catching bonitos is not skunked, catching nothing is skunked. I'm glad you enjoyed feeding my leftover ballyhoo to the fish. It was about a 2 mile paddle back when I left, so you must be even sorer than I was. I was nervous about my king spoiling since it didn't fit all the way in my fishbag, so I bugged out a bit early. The fish arrived fresh enough. |
For those not familiar, mackerel and tuna, sometimes dolphin, can cause Scombroid poisoning if not iced quickly. This can occur in just 3-5 hours above refrigerator temps due to naturally occurring bacteria converting the amino acid histidine into histamine. Histamine is what causes allergic reactions, hence antihistamines are the treatment. If anyone has figured out a good way to attach a cooler big enough for long fish to a yak, let me know.
From the FDA Scombroid link:
Symptoms of scombroid poisoning can become evident within minutes to 2 hours following consumption. This rapid onset is one reason scombroid poisoning may be reported more often than many other food poisonings which react much slower. Initial signs suggest an allergic response with facial flushing and sweating, burning-peppery taste sensations about the mouth and throat, dizziness, nausea and headache. These initial symptoms can advance to facial rash, hives, edema, short term diarrhea and abdominal cramps. Severe cases may blur vision, and cause respiratory stress and swelling of the tongue. Symptoms usually last for approximately 4 to 6 hours and rarely exceed one to two days. This is rarely fatal.
Interesting ....I thinkthis has happened to me with a Mac one time. I kept it in a bucket of water for an hor....whenthe bite slowed, I went and bought ice. Did not think it was too long at all.....Man, I was SO sick within 2 hours of eating it.